Jelly Head

If only Jelly Head could move from her PC. It's for studying, gaming, watching films, staying sane, talking, eating, drinking, and a playground for her chocobo Henry *sigh*. If only Jelly Head could move ...

Thursday, June 29, 2006

Is Volunteering Truly Altruistic? Nope.

On Saturday I’ll be marshalling at the Pride event in London. My friend Mickey asked me if I wanted to marshall with him. He did jokingly assure me that I didn’t have to pretend to be a lesbian to join in. Silly Mickey-poos. With me staring at half-naked men, I think it'd be obvious anyway. :D

I really really enjoy volunteering to do stuff. Knowing that I’ve helped an event to run smoothly gives me a nice buzz (and the freebies are usually nice as well). I used to volunteer to help Freshers at Middlesex University find their way around the Uni in their first week (and I’d get a few free drinks out of it too). Last summer I volunteered to help out at the Game Developers Conference (Europe). Me and 19 guys helped to make sure the conference ran smoothly and, because we did such a great job, we’ve been asked to help out at this years Develop Conference in Brighton. Hurray! Not only do we get to help out but we also get free entry to a conference we’d love to attend but can’t afford, plus, we get networking contacts, freebies, possible entrance to parties (if my friend Phil manages to get me a ticket - the invitation-only Microsoft party last year was a bit of a let-down but the free food and drink was lovely).

Me and my flatmate Silas offered to marshall at this year’s London Marathon. We got some freebies, it was a brilliant and awe-inspiring day (made me want to run the Marathon but that wore off the next day thankfully), and we also got to cheer on our friend Steve who was running the Marathon as well. Yay Steve! He's running lots of marathons all over the world this year to raise money for Marie Curie Cancer Care, so please feel free to sponsor Steve here.

So, on Saturday, I’m going to be able to do lots of my favourite things all at the same time – lucky me!

These are a few of my favourite things
a) Play with my friend Mickey
b) We can stare (and drool) at boyz
c) Do some volunteer work
d) Jumping up and down a lot and getting over-excited

I'm just wondering if there'll be any cookies there .... if you're attending the Pride event, please make sure your cookies are safe at home ....

Fab-tastic!

4 Comments:

  • At 2:01 PM, Blogger Mickey Blumental said…

    You forgot:

    e) Eat yummy stuff before and after

    It can obviously include cookies!

     
  • At 4:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Your altriusm shows your humananity, which is naturally imbued it seems:

    http://www.newscientist.com/channel/being-human/mg18524914.900.html

     
  • At 2:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    So how pretty were the pretty boys, Janey?

     
  • At 2:48 PM, Blogger Hala said…

    You'll see pictures of them when Mickey gets his pictures out :D

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

eXTReMe Tracker